10 Ways to Stay Healthy After School Starts
1. Help your child avoid getting a sunburn while playing or attending school games and activities by wearing sunscreen or protective clothing.
2. Encourage your kids to drink plenty of water and avoid soda and other high-sugar drinks.
3. Intersperse studying with exercise! Getting out and moving, even for just a few minutes at a time throughout the day, can make all the difference!
4. Instead of giving your kids sugary snacks, make a fruit smoothie instead! Fruit, juice, yogurt, milk – all make good smoothie ingredients.
5. The surfaces your children touch once they’re back in school are also touched by a lot of other people. Minimize the germs they’re exposed to by encouraging them to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before eating or placing their hands near their face.
6. Make sure your child’s vaccines are up to date. Washington is experiencing a whooping cough outbreak of epidemic proportions at the moment. While you’re at it, you also may need to update your own vaccines.
7. Set up a schedule for sleeping, eating, studying, etc. It will help keep everyone in the house healthier!
8. Help your child learn to manage stress. Prayer, breathing deep, exercise, playing with their pet, all help!
9. Watch less TV. Turning off the television encourages interaction and movement and discourages snacking!
10. Teeth brushing is important! Brushing your teeth keeps germs from hanging around in your mouth. (Mouthwash and floss for extra points!)
11. While the title of this article is “10 Ways to Stay Healthy After School Starts”, there is one more important way to help stay healthy and it doesn’t matter whether you’re in school or not. Develop and grow your relationship with God! Prayer, reading your Bible, attending church, and being part of a religious community encourage a healthier, longer-living, and happier person. That goes for kids and adults!
So, have a great school year whether you’re a kid, parent, grandparent, or even a great-grandparent! Everyone can work on being healthier!